ASCA continues to advocate for the following:
- the continuation of accessible testing;
- the continuation of mandatory isolation for positive cases;
- the reinstatement of provincially overseen contact tracing, ideally for the province as a whole, but specifically for school student or staff related positive cases;
- the reinstatement of mandatory reporting of positive student/staff cases to schools; and
- the reinstatement of the requirement of schools to notify close contacts of positive cases so that parents can make informed decisions regarding their own children’s risks while attending in person learning.
ASCA, along with other education stakeholders, has been invited by the Minister of Education to provide questions, comments, concerns, and general feedback related to the 2021-2022 School Year Plan, including the guidance document, tool kit, Alberta Health Daily Checklist, and 2021-22 Parent Guide.
Updated information is available on the government resources website for Staying safe and healthy this school year where parents, students and school staff can learn what to expect in schools.