Please note - there are significant changes to the Nominations process in 2019 - in particular:
Nominations must be submitted 15 days prior to the AGM.
Nominations are not accepted from the floor at the AGM.
Candidates Questionnaire 2019 (PDF fillable form - must be downloaded)
Nomination Form for ASCA Board of Directors Position 2019 (PDF fillable form - must be downloaded)
ASCA Nominations Procedures
- Nomination papers* may be submitted at any time, up to and including, 15 (calendar) days prior to the AGM.
- There is no maximum number of nominations accepted.
- Candidate information will be posted on the ASCA website at three intervals; March 15, April 1, and April 18 (10 days prior to the AGM).
- Nomination package includes a Candidates questionnaire, rather than a bio (all answering the same questions), to be submitted.
- Candidates currently, or previously on the Board, would answer the questionnaire with additional questions regarding their work, accomplishments/contributions to the ASCA in their position.
- Candidates planning to run for more than one position, if unsuccessful in an initial position bid, must declare this intent 15 days prior to the AGM (eg. if seeking President position without success, will run for Vice President position, etc.), including Directors in their current term – who must declare if they will continue their term if not elected to another position they run for.
- If there are five (5) or more candidates declared for the position of Director(s) 15 days prior to the AGM, no additional nominations after this date, will be accepted for the Director position(s) election at the AGM.
- If there are not enough candidates declared to fill the vacant positions at 15 days prior to the AGM, the declared candidates will be ACCLAIMED to their positions.
- If there is still a shortfall of candidates for positions vacant after acclamations (15 days prior), these positions may only be filled at the AGM by potential “additional” candidates from the ASCA Conference, declaring between Friday 1pm opening and Saturday 1pm (submitting a full nominations package, including the questionnaire) prior to the Sunday AGM.
- These “additional” candidate’s questionnaire(s) will be posted on the ASCA website by 6pm Saturday, and printed copies distributed to delegates at the start of the Sunday AGM.
- If there are no additional candidates declared at the ASCA Conference to fill positions vacant, these positions will remain vacant on the day of the AGM, the ASCA Board may appoint for positions at a later time.
* Candidates, including those acclaimed, are required to verbally accept their nomination at the AGM, and expected to prepare a (brief) speech to address the assembly at the AGM on Election Day.
* Current ASCA board members are not eligible to nominate a candidate.
NOTE * Nomination papers include the Candidates Questionnaire and the Nomination Form, to be submitted electronically ONLY - by email, using the fillable PDF forms provided.
Declared Candidates for the Board of Directors election at the AGM will be posted at three intervals; March 15, April 1, and April 18 (10 days prior to the AGM).
Election Process (held at the Annual General Meeting)
The following election procedures determine how nominees are elected to the ASCA Board of Directors at the Annual General Meeting:
- An election for President will precede an election for Vice President, which will precede an election for Directors.
- Candidates (including acclaimed candidates) will prepare speeches to speak to the assembly
- in the following order:
Candidates for President have five (5) minutes each
Candidates for Vice President have four (4) minutes each
Candidates for Director have three (3) minutes each
Candidates within each position election will speak based on alphabetical order of surname
- Questions from the assembly for the President and Vice President candidates will be accepted from the floor following the speeches from the candidates.
- Candidates who are unsuccessful in the election for President may choose to let their name stand in the election of Vice President or Director (pending eligibility).
- Candidates who are unsuccessful in the election for Vice President may choose to let their name stand in the election of Director (pending eligibility).
- Candidates must declare in advance, on the Nomination Form, of their intention to run for an alternate position, if unsuccessful with their initial bid.
- Ballots cast for all positions will be collected and counted, and announced prior to the next election, if applicable. Only the name(s) of the successful candidate(s) will be announced, in alphabetical order by surname.