Benefits of ASCA Membership
School councils in Alberta benefit from the advocacy and supports the Alberta School Councils' Association (ASCA) provides.
School councils seeking general information can consult the Alberta School Council Resource Guide (English). The resource guide provides information about the education system in Alberta, roles and responsibilities of various stakeholders in education and specific information on school councils.
ASCA provides a confidential phone consultation line to obtain additional information, resources and support for school councils.
TOLL FREE 1-800-661-3470 or 780-451-7148 in Edmonton.
School councils may also request workshops on a variety of topics and information relevant to school council effectiveness.
School council members of ASCA have access to online resources - video recordings and documents including templates, checklists, samples, tipsheets and promotional materials.
ASCA members receive email information and eNews to be aware of issues and updates in education.
Recognized by the government and others in provincial education, ASCA presents the parent perspective on issues in public education.
- Members receive reduced event registration fees for the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and School Councils Conference offering skill development sessions for parents and school council members.
- Opportunities to participate on provincial education committees, exercise voting rights and contribute to association policy setting at the AGM are member advantages.
The significance of membership in the association is to provide school councils with a ‘voice’ at the provincial level in public education. ASCA member school councils are eligible to:
- Vote on agenda items at General Meetings of the Association;
- Speak to any agenda item at General Meetings of the Association;
- Vote for candidates running for President, Vice President and Director positions;
- Sponsor an eligible parent school council member to run for election on the Board of Directors;
- Participate on Board committees as invited;
- Participate on the School Council Engagement Task Force;
- Pay reduced fees, if any, for attendance at ASCA events;
- Examine the books and records of the Association.