School Councils Regulation
Education Act Regulations
The regulations take their authority from specific sections of the Education Act and describe additional legal requirements that must be met by the Government of Alberta, school boards, charter schools, private schools, teachers and parents.
SCHOOL COUNCILS REGULATION (link to full document)
Education Act – Section 55
55 (1) For each school operated by a board, a school council must be established in accordance with the regulations.
(2) The majority of the members of a school council must be parents of students enrolled in the school.
(3) A board of a separate school division may by resolution require that the parents of students enrolled in a school operated by the board who are members of the school council declare themselves to be of the same faith as the electors of the separate school division, whether Protestant or Roman Catholic.
(4) A school council may, at its discretion,
(a) advise the principal and the board respecting any matter relating to the school,
(b) perform any duty or function delegated to it by the board in accordance with the delegation,
(c) consult with the principal so that the principal may ensure that students in the school have the opportunity to meet the standards of education set by the Minister,
(d) consult with the principal so that the principal may ensure that the fiscal management of the school is in accordance with the requirements of the board and the superintendent, and
(e) do anything it is authorized under the regulations to do.
(5) Subject to the regulations, a school council may establish and implement policies in the school that the school council considers necessary to carry out its functions.
(6) A school council may make bylaws governing its meetings and the conduct of its affairs.
(7) Subject to the regulations, a board may establish and implement policies respecting school councils.
(8) A board shall establish a dispute resolution process to address disputes between the principal and the school council with respect to policies proposed or adopted for a school.
(9) The Minister, on the request of the board, may dissolve a school council without notice at any time if the Minister is of the opinion that the school council is not carrying out its responsibilities in accordance with this Act and the regulations.
(10) Where a school council has been dissolved by the Minister pursuant to subsection (9), a school council must, in accordance with the regulations, be established after the start of the school year immediately following the year in which the school council was dissolved.
(11) The Minister may make regulations
(a) respecting the establishment of school councils, the election or appointment of the members of a school council, the term or other conditions of election or appointment and the dissolution of a school council;
(b) respecting the roles of the principal and the school council of a school and their respective powers, duties and responsibilities;
(c) respecting the re-establishment of school councils that have been dissolved by the Minister pursuant to subsection (9);
(d) respecting any other matter the Minister considers necessary respecting school councils;
(e) exempting a school or class of schools from the application of this section.
SCHOOL COUNCILS REGULATION (Section download Ministerial Order PDF document)
Table of Contents
2 Establishment meeting
3 Notice of establishment meeting
4 Chair and secretary at establishment meeting
5 Agenda at establishment meeting
6 Right to vote at establishment meeting
7 School council membership
8 School council executive
9 Faith of school council members
10 Remuneration of school council members
11 Prohibition against incorporation
12 Responsibilities of board
14 Duty to report to the board
15 Date for first meeting of school council
16 Suspension of school council
17 Bylaws of school council
18 Fees prohibited
23 Coming into force