Alberta Education Consultations Sept 2017
In reviewing Alberta’s education legislation to ensure it is meeting the needs of students, the Education department is holding consultations for potential amendments to the School Act, in the province during September.
- September 6 and 7 in Red Deer;
- September 11 and 12 in Grande Prairie;
- September 19 and 20 in Lethbridge;
- September 21 and 22 in Calgary; and
- September 25 and 26 and 27 and 28 in Edmonton.
The Minister has asked each School Board to invite a parent representative from an ASCA member school council to participate in the consultations.
The Ministry has identified policy issues that require further discussion and engagement, and are seeking input on several topics, including:
- age of access;
- age of common entry; and
- education services agreements between school boards and First Nations.
These discussions are meant to inform potential amendments to the current School Act.
The ASCA organization will have representation at each of these meetings as well and looks forward to meeting the parents representing their school districts.
School Councils are an important legislated voice in Alberta’s K- 12 education system, and we encourage participation in this valuable engagement opportunity with the Ministry.